was: Re: looking for MOP documentation

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Sep 22 10:46:58 EDT 2003

Holger Krekel <pyth at devel.trillke.net> writes:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
> > Holger Krekel <pyth at devel.trillke.net> writes:
> >
> > > Although probably 2/3 of the implementation of Python deal with the
> > > type/object implementations, from a using-the-language point of view
> > > the syntax probably contributes more obviously to the observed
> > > "simplicity" of Python.
> >
> > OK, I disagree with you, too :-)
>
> Nah, that's almost impossible because I have carefully interspersed
> the above sentence with "probably" and "more obviously" :-)

OK, you're right in what you say -- the syntax probably does make more
of an obvious impact.  I'll carry on believing that the powerful data
structures are more important, but that hardly contradicts your
paragraph.

> > > But the term "meta object protocol" seems to point much more into
> > > the direction of types/objects as Michael suggests and here Python
> > > has a lot to offer. Is there some free material on MOP somewhere?
> >
> >     http://www.elwoodcorp.com/alu/mop/contents.html
>
> Uuh, it's all LISP based, i see.

Well, CLOS (== Common Lisp Object System).  Difficulties in
understanding are likely to come as much from not grokking CLOS as not
grokking Lisp.

> Maybe i still give it a try. Anyone willing to give a pythonic
> crash-course in LISP in - say - 10 x 5-line paragraphs?  :-)

Not right now, sorry...

> > looks like being a version of AMOP online, you know that book I
> > brought with me to one of the pypy sprints :-) (actually, it may have
> > been the Gothenbourg sprint).  I can bring it to the next sprint I
> > come to, if you like.
>
> sounds good and like more fun than funding papers.

Actually, the URL isn't the text of the book, but is similar
material...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  This system uses a highly redundant optical communication technique
  to achieve ultra-low, ultra-robust transmission.  The basic unit is