was: Re: looking for MOP documentation

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Sep 22 10:07:45 EDT 2003

Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> writes:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
> > Fair enough.  I can see your point of view, I just don't (completely)
> > agree with it :-) You could have something with similar syntax,
> > keywords, etc to Python but semantics like C, and it would still be
> > horrible (IMHO).
>
> Tried pyrex?  It comes reasonably close to the "something" you
> describe, and it ain't all that horrible (IMHO).

I'm not sure pyrex is all that close to what I meant.  I meant
something like this:

include "stdio.h"

def main(int argc, char** argv):
    char* s = "world"
    if argc == 2:
        s = argv[1]
    printf("Hello %s", s)

OK, so maybe it's a little nicer than regular punctuation-soup C but I
really do think it's the object model of Python plus having high-level
types *right there* in the language that makes Python so useful (as
opposed to the syntax which just makes it *pleasant*).

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I hate leaving Windows95 boxes publically accessible, so shifting
  even to NT is a blessing in some ways.  At least I can reboot them