RAD with Python

David M. Cook davecook at nowhere.net
Sat Sep 13 20:02:20 EDT 2003

In article <17d520f6.0309130704.7944c876 at posting.google.com>, Ubaidullah
Nubar wrote:

> Don't they all (PyGTK, wxPython, etc.) use the underlying GUIs (e.g.
> Windows API/KDE/Gnome, etc.)? So where does the better looking part
> come from? Or do some of them recreate the whole GUI layer?

Gtk does not use the native win32 controls.  There's a theme that apparently
does use the native controls, but I've heard that it's slow.  So it's not
the toolkit to choose right now if native look and feel is an overriding
concern.

> Reading some other threads on this ng, there are posts that mention
> that gtk has issues running under Win32. Are these concerns still
> valid or have they been resolved with the latest version?

The latest version fixes some bugs, but the win32 port is still not very
mature, and does not have as large a community of testers as the unix
version.

Dave Cook