RAD with Python

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Fri Sep 12 11:41:24 EDT 2003

On Friday 12 September 2003 08:17 am, John wrote:
> On 12 Sep 2003 06:09:02 -0700, Ubaidullah Nubar
>
> <ubaidullahnubar at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > How well is Python suited for developing database based applications?
> > I am new to Python so please bear with me if some of the questions are
> > too simple. I specifically have the following questions:
> >
> > 1. Is there an example of a simple data-entry application written in
> > Python using a GUI interface? Something like a simple address book app
> > with a listbox displaying all addresses with the ability to
> > add/modify/delete.
> >
> > 2. There seem to be a number of GUI frameworks available? Which one is
> > good for use on Windows and Linux?

I've used Tkinter for cross platform development with great success
for years, but recently I've been playing with pyGTK (and the
libraries it is built upon: GTK+, glade-2 and libglade), and
I like the results very much.

PyGTK works on both window and Linux/Unix, Comparing the two, it seems
that PyGTK produces GUI's which look much better, and are *much* more
responsive.  And the GUI building tool, glade-2, is *very* easy and
convenient to work with.

New version have just come out in the last several days, so look for
and install the latest.

Gary Herron