RAD with Python

John john.thingstad at chello.no
Fri Sep 12 11:17:48 EDT 2003

On 12 Sep 2003 06:09:02 -0700, Ubaidullah Nubar
<ubaidullahnubar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How well is Python suited for developing database based applications?
> I am new to Python so please bear with me if some of the questions are
> too simple. I specifically have the following questions:
>
> 1. Is there an example of a simple data-entry application written in
> Python using a GUI interface? Something like a simple address book app
> with a listbox displaying all addresses with the ability to
> add/modify/delete.
>
> 2. There seem to be a number of GUI frameworks available? Which one is
> good for use on Windows and Linux?
>
> 3. Can Python apps be compiled to an exe? Can the resulting executable
> be distributed commercially?
>
> 4. What types of applications are not suitable to be written in
> Python?
>
> I have good knowledge of many languages including C++, Assembler,
> Java, etc. My preferred development tool is Clarion currently. If
> anybody with a Clarion background can share their experience with
> Python, that will be very helpful.
>
> Appreciate your answers...
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Ubaidullah Nubar.

My choice would be wxPython. Look at the wxPython demo form plenty of
source.

2.
My personal preference of a Python RAD is Boa Constructor.
You will need to install wxWindows (www.wxWindows.org) wxPython
(www.wxPython.org)
and finally the Boa Constructor itself (boa-constructor.sourceforge.net).
The resulting code is portable to unix and maybe mac.

3.
py2exe is used to generate executable python programs under windows.
The resulting code can be freely distrinuted.

4.
Python is appox 400 times slower than C.
If you are doing complex algorithmics on large data sets and a module like
numpy dosn't accelerate what you need you might be better off with another
language.
(Note that for most application the time is spendt in C modules interfaced
by python.)
You have to options:
1. Implement the critical sections in C (the SWIG interface genetrator
helps grind the C interface to pyhton)
2. Use another language (My choice.. I use Common Lisp for complex
algorithmics)