use make and version control system for every project?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Oct 7 09:09:27 EDT 2003

sashan wrote:

> Roy Smith wrote:
>
> >sashan <mabus at operamail.com> wrote:
> >>I'm also using Subversion for a part-time contract I'm working on.
> >
> >How's that working out?  I've been watching the subversion project for
> >several years with interest, but so far havn't worked up the courage to
> >actually use it for anything.
> >
> Well the project has just started and there isn't much code. The
> repository has only 6 revisions so it's hard to assess the stability of
> subversion. Installation and setup of apache + subversion on windows was
> remarkably easy. On the linux (Gentoo) system I do the development on,
> installing and setting up a subversion server was a no-brainer. I can't
> really give an indepth analysis of it yet, save to say that it's working
> for me.

Heck, even SourceSafe did *that* much for us, at the time.  ;-)

I'd say to Roy just watch for casual references to projects using
subversion (not when someone's pushing subversion, just when someone
happens to mention in passing that subversion is being used).  When
you see enough of those to feel like it's fairly widely used, it's
ready for you.  There are early adopters, and then there are those
who are busy early-adopting other stuff and can't afford the time and
risk involved in testing out subversion, too. :-)

-Peter