use make and version control system for every project?

Kaz Kylheku kaz at ashi.footprints.net
Wed Oct 8 13:42:55 EDT 2003

Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote in message news:<roy-2B8C49.10130906102003 at reader2.panix.com>...
> sashan <mabus at operamail.com> wrote:
> > I'm also using Subversion for a part-time contract I'm working on.
>
> How's that working out?  I've been watching the subversion project for
> several years with interest, but so far havn't worked up the courage to
> actually use it for anything.
>
> I'm mostly happy with CVS, except for a few things.  High on the list is
> the inability to move files around, as others have mentioned.  I know
> subversion fixes that one.

Subversion appears to support file renaming, until it's time to merge!

Meta-CVS has element renaming that is robust and mergeable.

http://users.footprints.net/~kaz/mcvs.html

> Sounds like an interesting system, but it's
> hard to get a good feel for how solid the thing is from reading the
> release notes.  It's hard to abandon an old tool that mostly works well
> without a lot of confidence in the new one.

That's why I developed Meta-CVS on top of the CVS substrate---low risk
and instant gratification!

This is vaguely analogous to, say, building multi-media-enabled e-mail
on top of RFC-822 and SMTP, rather than inventing new protocols. You
encode the properties that you want in the data representation
supported by the existing ones, and then do all the work in the
clients.

In the case of CVS, this goes a long way, because you can represent a
lot in text files, such as a directory structure with permissions and
symbolic links. You just need a smart client that knows how to put
that information into action in your sandbox.