use make and version control system for every project?

sashan mabus at operamail.com
Tue Oct 7 00:19:06 EDT 2003

Roy Smith wrote:

>sashan <mabus at operamail.com> wrote:
>

>>I'm also using Subversion for a part-time contract I'm working on.
>>

>How's that working out?  I've been watching the subversion project for
>several years with interest, but so far havn't worked up the courage to
>actually use it for anything.
>
>I'm mostly happy with CVS, except for a few things.  High on the list is
>the inability to move files around, as others have mentioned.  I know
>subversion fixes that one.  Sounds like an interesting system, but it's
>hard to get a good feel for how solid the thing is from reading the
>release notes.  It's hard to abandon an old tool that mostly works well
>without a lot of confidence in the new one.

Well the project has just started and there isn't much code. The
repository has only 6 revisions so it's hard to assess the stability of
subversion. Installation and setup of apache + subversion on windows was
remarkably easy. On the linux (Gentoo) system I do the development on,
installing and setting up a subversion server was a no-brainer. I can't
really give an indepth analysis of it yet, save to say that it's working
for me.

--
sashan
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~sgov008/