Tkinter isn't permanently ugly (was: python applications deployement)

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Mon Oct 13 14:40:32 EDT 2003

In article <slrnbolo72.fh2.ramen at lackingtalent.com>,
Dave Benjamin  <ramen at lackingtalent.com> wrote:
>In article <volh0m3u1hfq63 at corp.supernews.com>, Cameron Laird wrote:
>> In article <607d8200.0310130551.13bf2fa5 at posting.google.com>,
>> Rodrigo Benenson <rodrigob at elo.utfsm.cl> wrote:
>> 			.
>>>To my eyes Python has two very bad things:
>>>1- Tkinter is great for programmers but ugly to everyone.
>> 			.
>> 			.
>> 			.
>> There's hope that the visual appearance of Tkinter will improve in
>> a finite amount of time <URL: http://tcl.projectforum.com/tk/Home >.
>
>Hey, nice! Tk is definitely the path of least resistance for me with GUI
>coding, but there definitely is a distinct Tk look that might have been
>fashionable back when Motif was popular but now looks weird or dated to
>most people. However, a lot of this has to do with defaults; on one project,
>I was able to produce a Tk app that looked exactly like a typical Windows
>interface, with IE-style toolbar buttons and everything. Tk is very
>customizable.
			.
			.
			.
Brian Griffin has packaged a new collection of defaults which has
people raving (with enthusiasm).  I don't think anyone's yet writ-
ten a coherent explanation or description, but the code's here:
  http://tcl.projectforum.com/tk/admin/download.html?attachid=19232
He's delivering applications to customers based on this *now*, with
success.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net