Tkinter isn't permanently ugly (was: python applications deployement)

Mark Roseman mark at markroseman.com
Tue Oct 14 07:01:24 EDT 2003

Yeah, we're definitely hoping to get there soon in terms of
bringing Tk into the modern era.  As you say, it certainly is
customizable enough... probably so customizable that people
have been able to make do by tweaking, and nobody has bothered
to go in and fix the default behavior so everyone can take
advantage of it without pain!

With the Tk revitalization work, we're trying to address that.
Out of the box, we want Tk to look more modern out of the box
(no more Motif look), which is mostly achievable now via option
settings but needs to be baked in by default.  Also adding a
bunch more widgets like comboboxes, since it is ridiculous for
everyone to need to do it differently.

And yes, the tearoff menus being on by default are definitely
on my personal hit list. :-)

Mark
(see http://tcl.projectforum.com/tk/ to help out or just try
 out the latest demos that we have available!)