Tkinter isn't permanently ugly (was: python applications deployement)

Dave Benjamin ramen at lackingtalent.com
Mon Oct 13 13:23:03 EDT 2003

In article <volh0m3u1hfq63 at corp.supernews.com>, Cameron Laird wrote:
> In article <607d8200.0310130551.13bf2fa5 at posting.google.com>,
> Rodrigo Benenson <rodrigob at elo.utfsm.cl> wrote:
> 			.
>>To my eyes Python has two very bad things:
>>1- Tkinter is great for programmers but ugly to everyone.
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
> There's hope that the visual appearance of Tkinter will improve in
> a finite amount of time <URL: http://tcl.projectforum.com/tk/Home >.

Hey, nice! Tk is definitely the path of least resistance for me with GUI
coding, but there definitely is a distinct Tk look that might have been
fashionable back when Motif was popular but now looks weird or dated to
most people. However, a lot of this has to do with defaults; on one project,
I was able to produce a Tk app that looked exactly like a typical Windows
interface, with IE-style toolbar buttons and everything. Tk is very
customizable.

The major deficiencies, in my opinion, are:

 - way too many ways to make a combobox, the standard one being the
   ugliest, and the nonstandard ones being difficult to customize and debug
 - tearoff menus by default - probably sounded like a good idea at the time =)
 - text areas + word wrap + scrollbar = bizarre
 - slow rendering (IDLE is a testament to this)

--
.:[ dave benjamin (ramenboy) -:- www.ramenfest.com -:- www.3dex.com ]:.
: d r i n k i n g   l i f e   o u t   o f   t h e   c o n t a i n e r :