web front-end, Python back end?

vivek kumar gupt_vive at hotmail.com
Fri May 30 02:35:28 EDT 2003

>From: guy at obstruction-no-spam.com (Guy Middleton)

>I need some software architecture advice.
>
>I'm writing an application in which the logic is going to be implemented as
>set of Python modules, with three separate interfaces: command-line, GUI,
>and
>web.

I have done some similer kind of thing. Like for GUI I have used Tkinter,
for report generation and other business logic I have created scripts
seperately which I import in the gui and web module and for web interface I
have used Python CGI. and it works fine.

>Command-line is easy, and I'm planning to use wxPython for the GUI
>interface,
>but I'm wondering how best to do the web interface.
>The system on which it is running already has PHP installed, so I thought I
>could write some kind of PHP front end.  Is this a common approach?  We are
>favouring PHP because the maintenance issues, so that we can have the same
>person (who is not familiar with Python) support this and the existing PHP
>applications.

I can not say anything about PHP coz I don't know much about it and also I
don't know how will you use python modules from PHP, But as I used CGI it is
easy to simply import the modules created and use them in your CGI scripts.

Regards
Vivek Kumar

Got a wish? Make it come true.
http://server1.msn.co.in/msnleads/citibankpersonalloan/index.asp Best