web front-end, Python back end?

Heiko Wundram heiko at ph0enix.homelinux.org
Thu May 29 14:31:19 EDT 2003

Quoting Guy Middleton <guy at obstruction-no-spam.com>:

> The system on which it is running already has PHP installed, so I thought I
> could write some kind of PHP front end.  Is this a common approach?  We are
> favouring PHP because the maintenance issues, so that we can have the same
> person (who is not familiar with Python) support this and the existing PHP
> applications.

I'm doing the same thing here too... We have a PHP program, which I recently
extended in ways that seemed undoable in Python, and that's why I wrote a
Python backend for the PHP program. The Python backend runs using Twisted,
and serves pages as XMLRPC, which the PHP program can query. In case you
don't have many messages that need to be passed hence and forth, this approach
works sufficiently, and also sufficiently easy, as converting types is covered by
the STL xmlrpclib modules, both in Python and PHP.

If you have any further questions or want to see some code, feel free to mail me!

Hope this helps!

--

	Heiko Wundram
	Universität 18 - Zimmer 2206