web front-end, Python back end?

Max Khesin max at cNOvSisiPonAtecMh.com
Thu May 29 19:47:07 EDT 2003

also: another alternative (perhaps more secure) - can't you use pipes to
redirect the cgi request to a python server?

Max Khesin, software developer -
max at cNvOiSsPiAoMntech.com
[check out our image compression software at www.cvisiontech.com, JBIG2-PDF
compression @
www.cvisiontech.com/cvistapdf.html]

"Max Khesin" <max at cNOvSisiPonAtecMh.com> wrote in message
news:c1wBa.78435$h42.78084 at twister.nyc.rr.com...
> Steve,
> (i am probably missing somehting, but) what's the advantage of having
> Twisted in the loop at all? Python can start a standalone XMLPRC server
> using xmlrpclib, no?
> As a side issue, what are the security implications of running xmlrpc? Is
> there a way to make sure the protocol cannot be accessed from the
'outside'?

> thanks,
>
> --
> Max Khesin, software developer -
> max at cNvOiSsPiAoMntech.com
> [check out our image compression software at www.cvisiontech.com,
JBIG2-PDF
> compression @
> www.cvisiontech.com/cvistapdf.html]
>

> "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote in message
> news:bCvBa.167255$3n5.101436 at news2.central.cox.net...
> > "Heiko Wundram" <heiko at ph0enix.homelinux.org> wrote in message
> > news:mailman.1054233289.14720.python-list at python.org...
> > Quoting Guy Middleton <guy at obstruction-no-spam.com>:
> >
> > > The system on which it is running already has PHP installed, so I
> thought
> > > could write some kind of PHP front end.  Is this a common approach?
We
> > are
> > > favouring PHP because the maintenance issues, so that we can have the
> same
> > > person (who is not familiar with Python) support this and the existing
> PHP
> > > applications.
> >
> > I'm doing the same thing here too... We have a PHP program, which I
> recently
> > extended in ways that seemed undoable in Python, and that's why I wrote
> > Python backend for the PHP program. The Python backend runs using
Twisted,
> > and serves pages as XMLRPC, which the PHP program can query. In case you
> > [...]
> > I'd be very surprised if Python can't do whatever you chose PHP for.
Would