State of Python

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Fri May 16 09:40:29 EDT 2003

On 16 May 2003 06:11:43 -0700,
	John Howard <python473 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> etc about Python in recent months?  I regularly receive several
> magazines (dobbs, computerworld, etc) and seen very few if any
> articles touting Python.  I have had great success using the language

Really?  I just started a new DDJ subscription, and the first two issues
(May and June) both had articles that mentioned Python: one presented an
algorithm for canonicalizing graphs, and one used Python in an example to
call an embedded XML-RPC server.  The latter article even said something
like "Notice how the C example is 50 lines, and the Python one is only
seven."

ComupterWorld is a trade publication that is aimed at managers, not
technical people; it's like Infoworld or PC Week.  These publications don't
cover open source very well at all; they're very aware of Linux, have some
dim awareness of Apache, and everything else -- Python, Perl, Samba, the
BSDs -- will get an occasional article or stray reference in a quotation.
I don't expect to see Python mentioned here.

--amk                                                    (www.amk.ca)
FOOL: Truth's a dog must to kennel.
      -- _King Lear_, I, iv