Announcement: Obfuscated Python competition

Graham Nicholls graham at rockcons.co.uk
Mon May 19 18:56:43 EDT 2003

Gerhard Häring wrote:

> It's possible to produce bad quoting with any newsreader. But Outlook
> Express users are particularly good at it, because their newsreader was
> heavily optimized for this behaviour.

I hope that you aren't implying what I think you are ;-) - this comes to you
from one of my multiple Linux (& Unix) boxes.  I'm running KDE3.x on
SuSE8.2.  This is knode.  I also have taken the time to reply to as many as
possible postings, so forgive me if the layout & spelling aren't perfect( I
keep hitting ; instead of ' for instance).  Take a look at the time of my
postings - when have I slept in the last 24 hours?  Of course, that could
be why I'm starting to enjoy coding in Python.

>> I don't know that there has been a formal contest, but I have already
>> seen prize-winning code.  The main trick is to turn multiple lines of
>> nice, readable code into one gigantic lambda expression with nested
>> lambdas with nested lambas ... as deep as needed.
>
> I know one perv^wfellow Python user who's especially good at producing
> obfuscated Python: Gerson Kurz. Here's one of his cool
> pages:http://p-nand-q.com/e/obfuscated_python.html
>
> -- Gerhard

Graham
--