Announcement: Obfuscated Python competition

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Mon May 19 17:56:40 EDT 2003

Terry Reedy wrote:
> "Graham Nicholls" <graham at rockcons.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:zfaya.344$Ag1.275 at news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
>>I reckon its possible to write bad code in any language.  So if it
>
> hasn't
>
>>been done already, how about an obfuscated Python competition.

It's possible to produce bad quoting with any newsreader. But Outlook
Express users are particularly good at it, because their newsreader was
heavily optimized for this behaviour.

> I don't know that there has been a formal contest, but I have already
> seen prize-winning code.  The main trick is to turn multiple lines of
> nice, readable code into one gigantic lambda expression with nested
> lambdas with nested lambas ... as deep as needed.

I know one perv^wfellow Python user who's especially good at producing
obfuscated Python: Gerson Kurz. Here's one of his cool
pages:http://p-nand-q.com/e/obfuscated_python.html

-- Gerhard