OT: Recommended Linux Laptops, suppliers?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Mar 18 13:04:19 EST 2003

    Brian> Are you sure that a 1GHz G4 is slower than a 2GHz Celeron? I'm
    Brian> not.

    Skip> Here are some Pystone numbers from my 800 MHz Ti
    Skip> Powerbook.

    Skip>     Interpreter                 Best pystone
    Skip>     2.1                         10482
    Skip>     2.2                         11210
    Skip>     CVS                         13123

I almost forgot about this Windows machine sitting over my shoulder... ;-)
At any rate, using it from Cygwin, I get 27855 pystones for the Python 2.2
interpreter.  It's got a 2.8GHz P4.  Making useless numbers even more
useless, I extrapolated my 800MHz G4 to 1GHz, giving 14012 pystones, and
extrapolated my 2.8GHz P4 down to 2GHz, giving 19896 pystones.  Someone else
posted a URL from which they guessed a 20% hit for a Celeron vs. a P4, which
brings that down to 15916.  Under the right circumstances, it would appear a
1GHz G4 might do fairly well against a 2GHz Celeron.

Skip