OT: Recommended Linux Laptops, suppliers?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Mar 18 12:40:26 EST 2003

    >> A similarly configured iBook or PowerBook (*if* they had one at 2GHz)
    >> would cost well over $2000.

    Brian> Are you sure that a 1GHz G4 is slower than a 2GHz Celeron? I'm
    Brian> not.

I sort of doubt the 1GHz G4 would outspin a 2GHz Celeron, but who knows?
Here are some Pystone numbers from my 800 MHz Ti Powerbook.  I ran the
CVS pystone three times with each version of the interpreter, and report the
highest number here:

    Interpreter                 Best pystone
    2.1                         10482
    2.2                         11210
    CVS                         13123

The CVS is as of a few minutes ago, which includes Raymond Hettinger's
rather cool "branch prediction" macros.

Skip