How does Python compare with RealBasic?

Jannie Hofmeyr jhsh at maties.sun.ac.za
Fri Mar 7 01:35:51 EST 2003

> Markus Winter wrote:
> > I've just started programming in RealBasic and now came across Python
> > (mainly because a molecular visualisation app I'm interested in is using
> > Python as it's script language). I intend to write my first program (a DNA
> > sequence analysis program) and wondered how Python compares to RB ...

snip

> Unless your writing your sequence analysis program purely as an
> exercise, you might want to check out the available python tools for
> bioinformatics at: http://biopython.org/ In fact, even if you're writing
> your program as a learning experience you might want to see how others
> have done similar things.

Another useful link is to the Pasteur Institute in Paris, where
Schuerer and Letondal have developed a Python Course in Bioinformatics
that also introduces the Biopython tools. I would prefer Python to
anything else for this task.

http://www.pasteur.fr/recherche/unites/sis/formation/python/

Have fun!

Jannie Hofmeyr