TextPad and Python

Fidtz fidtz at clara.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 11:42:08 EST 2003

phrogeeb at hotmail.com (Uri) wrote in message news:<8a0bb987.0303062118.201471b8 at posting.google.com>...
> Trying to get TextPad (http://www.textpad.com) to work with Python. It
> has lots of neat features like a file full of syntax coloring codes
> and an easy key-combination that executes the file in buffer and
> places output in a new TextPad window.
>
> I'm running into a question that I've seen come up a couple of times
> with Emacs. (Is Emacs on Win better than TextPad, even if I'm just a
> newbie?) I can run simple files that come up just fine in the new
> window. However, anything including input of any sort returns an error
> code that looks like:
>
> <TRACEBACK>
> Hello?Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\test.pyw", line 1, in ?
>     a = raw_input("Hello?")
> EOFError: EOF when reading a line
>
> Tool completed with exit code 1
> </TRACEBACK>
>
> In Emacs the answer was that you use two commands:
> C-c !           py-shell
> C-c C-c         py-execute-buffer
> However, the win version of Python 2.3 apparently doesn't come with
> either of these files.
> Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Answer from a fellow python newbie:
I use TextPad quite a lot, due to it's good Macro recorder, Windows
integration and easy cross file find and replace. However, it does not
have any interactive facilites, meaning things that require feedback
from the user in a basic shell type situation will not work.

I use TextPad when re-editing programs and/or working with .html, .css
and python files simulaneously but use IDLEfork (a newer version of
IDLE you can find on sourceforge) when creating the first version of a
program. I have written a Tkinter Organizer/Diary application and done
a website with online content admin with this system and it is working
well so far.

I am trying SciTE out at the moment and it is looking good as an
editing replacement for both, with IDLEfork becoming used for it's
shell alone. It has the interactive Output windows that TextPad lacks.

I did the Vim and EMACS tutorials too and I reckon the learning curve
might be worth it in the long run but while I am learning python, I
think easier editors are a better bet.

Dom