Textpad and Python

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Mar 7 07:56:05 EST 2003

>I'm running into a question that I've seen come up a couple of times
>with Emacs. (Is Emacs on Win better than TextPad, even if I'm just a
>newbie?) I can run simple files that come up just fine in the new
>window.

I have been using Textpad happily as my Python editor of choice for some
time now.

But it is necessary in general use to turn off the "capture output" option
when configuring Python under preferences>configure>tools. Output goes to a
"cmd" window.

It was easy enough to produce a Python.syn file for Python syntrax
highlighting.  In general, I'm a big fan of Textpad as an uncomplicated but
feature rich editor for Python code.  Happens to be the first time I have
heard it mentioned on python-list, however.

I generally run with 2 Python "tools" - one directly running the script, and
one for the case where I need to run with parameters.

On the other hand, I am recently looking at ScITE as an alternative - it is
free and Open Source and crossplatform.

Free is always nice.  But Textpad is quite reasonably priced  shareware, so
that is not really the point.

But even someone of my limted C++ skills has found it possible to do some
configuration of ScITE specific to my needs, and its very nice to be able to
use it also when I work on Linux.  BTW, some of the tools for configuring
ScITE are Python scripts, and the developer of ScITE/scintilla happens to
mention Python as his being  favorite language.

I mention ScITE in context of TextPad, because I consider them similar in
features and look and feel - and since I seem to moving toward it after
having used Textpad for some time.

Art