Python Cannot be Killed

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmx.net
Thu Jun 19 22:05:56 EDT 2003

Cliff Wells <LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net> writes:

> Anyway, my point being that no matter how one might feel about
> Stallman's views, I don't think anyone can cast any real doubt on his
> integrity.

Not that my aim is to cast any real doubt on Stallman's integrity, but why
can't I?

> If the GPL changes, it will be to bring the letter in line with the spirit,
> not to strip authors or users of their protections or rights.

While it seems indeed unlikely that the FSF will *maliciously* modify the GPL
in a way that doesn't reflect the aims of authors of GPL'ed software, it is
far less of a stretch to assume that the FSF could make changes that some
authors would feel rather unhappy about.

Indeed the probability of the FSF changing licenses in such a fashion seems to
be 1, judging by recent FDL issues:
(<http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200304/msg00256.html>)

> Yes, it *is* a matter of trust.  But then so is running any software you
> didn't personally write, trusting users not to copy your software
> illegally or the clerk at the store to give you the right change.
> Despite appearances, the world runs on trust.

Let me remind you that I brought this up in the context of a zealot's claim
that only the GPL "guarantees anything", whereas other licenses don't, which
is patently false, even in the wider sense that BSD/MIT style licenses require
faith in others' whereas GPL doesn't.

Me, personally, I'd under most circumstances rather place my trust on my
licensees under the simple terms of a license like MIT which I both fully
control and understand than on RMS's/the FSF's ability to judge what will be
right for me, my code and the world in general.

No doubt there are plenty of cases where the GPL is a good choice, but I find
that sort of advocacy that tries to convince you that only the GPL can be
"trusted" and promotes "freedom" a bit irritating.

> For various reasons, I happen to trust people in the Open Source world more
> than others and will continue to do so until proven wrong.

I appreciate your trust ;)

'as