Python Cannot be Killed

Cliff Wells LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 18 19:21:47 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 15:35, Alexander Schmolck wrote:
> Cliff Wells <LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net> writes:

> > I can see the headlines now: "Stallman suddenly [...] claims
> > ownership of GNU/Linux(tm) [...]"
>                ^^^
> already happened :)

And Linus owns the copyright on "Linux".  Makes no difference to
anyone.  Anyway, I was making a sidelong reference to Stallman's
requests that Linux be referred to as "GNU/Linux" rather than just
"Linux".

Anyway, my point being that no matter how one might feel about
Stallman's views, I don't think anyone can cast any real doubt on his
integrity.  If the GPL changes, it will be to bring the letter in line
with the spirit, not to strip authors or users of their protections or
rights.
Yes, it *is* a matter of trust.  But then so is running any software you
didn't personally write, trusting users not to copy your software
illegally or the clerk at the store to give you the right change.
Despite appearances, the world runs on trust.  For various reasons, I
happen to trust people in the Open Source world more than others and
will continue to do so until proven wrong.

Regards,

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)