Python Cannot be Killed

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) tdelaney at avaya.com
Wed Jun 18 19:20:48 EDT 2003

> From: Ben Finney
>
> [GPL as possible explicit waiver of copyright]
>
> Thanks for the FUD, but no thanks.

No FUD, no ability to support anything. Just a report of what I have perceived as a growing view in my general browsing across various forums that discuss things like software licenses (open source or otherwise).

Personally, the only thing I have against the GPL is that in practical terms it restricts the amount that code licensed under it is used. BSD-style licenses allow far greater usage of code, and as a result such code does get used more. I prefer that my code, where possible, be used by as many people as possible. I also prefer to use the best possible option for my code, but am often restricted at work from using the best solution because it is under the GPL, and we have to protect trade secrets and thus cannot release the source code to distributed projects.

Tim Delaney