GUI

delphiro delphiro at zonnet.nl
Sat Jun 14 07:05:14 EDT 2003

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 17:12:14 +0200
Tom <llafba at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I heard that it is possible to program GUI's with Python. I have to make
> some simple executable programs with a GUI. They should run on Windows.
> Unfortunately I am not very experienced with Python. That's why I would
> appreciate suggestions for an easy to use software. :-)

Hi Tom,

GUI programming is *very* simple with boa constuctor (free IDE for wxPython). I have a lot of Delphi / Turbo Pascal experience but did not have any python experience until a month ago. Now I am using Python / wxPython and it is realy easy to use. I design my GUI's with boa constructor and then add the rest of the code using my favourite editor (Emacs) This is a very convient way to build an application. The widgets of wxWindows are also very well thought out and extending their functionality (if necessary) is quite easy.

Take a look at the screenshot of my application (see link at the bottom of the page) to see what is possible within less then 60 hours development (spare) time. As a Delphi programmer I estimate that GUI writing with Boa is approx. twice as slow as using the full Delphi IDE. For a free tool I think this is very good.

You can find boa constructor at:
http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps!
Regards,