Python speed vs csharp

Juha Autero Juha.Autero at iki.fi
Thu Jul 31 07:00:54 EDT 2003

Mike <mike at nospam.com> writes:

> Since the test case code was fairly small, I
> translated it to C and ran it. The C code runs in approximately 7.5
> seconds. That's compelling, but C isn't: part of my simulation includes a
> parser to read an input file. I put that together in a few minutes in
> Python, but there are no corresponding string or regex libraries with my C
> compiler, so converting my Python code would take far more time than I'd
> save during the resulting simulations.

So, write only most executed parts with C as C extension to
Python. This is the reason I like Python. If your program is not fast
enough, you can implement critical functions with C. For example the
error function would be very simple to turn into an C extension module
using "Extending and Embedding the Python Interpreter"  document from

There are several tools that make writing C extensions easier. I've
used SWIG and Pyrex.

--
Juha Autero
http://www.iki.fi/jautero/