Python speed vs csharp

Steven Taschuk staschuk at telusplanet.net
Thu Jul 31 07:18:03 EDT 2003

Quoth Mike:
  [a number-crunching hotspot benchmarks at 210s in Python]
> translated it to C and ran it. The C code runs in approximately 7.5
> seconds. That's compelling, but C isn't: part of my simulation includes a
> parser to read an input file. I put that together in a few minutes in
> Python, but there are no corresponding string or regex libraries with my C
> compiler, so converting my Python code would take far more time than I'd
> save during the resulting simulations.

It seems you're speaking here as if the options are a pure-Python
program and a pure-C program.  Is there a reason you can't move
just this one hotspot function out to C, leaving the parser etc.
in Python?

Steven Taschuk                  staschuk at telusplanet.net
"Telekinesis would be worth patenting."  -- James Gleick