wxPython - question

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Jul 15 01:13:20 EDT 2003

"Artur M. Piwko" <pipen at beast_tu_kielce.pl> wrote:

>In the darkest hour on Sat, 12 Jul 2003 21:55:39 -0700,
>Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> screamed:
>
>>>How can I remove program entry from taskbar (not tray)?
>>
>> PLEASE resist the temptation to built Yet Another Tray Application.  Win32
>> programmers seem to use the tray icons as a sign of their guruness, and
>> every one of them seems to think that his application is so studly that it
>> must occupy permanent real estate on my desktop.  I've seen some trays that
>> bloat to 20 or 30 icons.
>>
>> Don't do it.  Your application just isn't that important.  If you need to
>> notify me of something, I find nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned
>> dialog box.
>
>I am writing Jabber/others messenger. In this case, tray icon is not a sign of
>guruness, but user friendliness.

I disagree.  That is strictly a matter of opinion.

Now, a tray icon that does not exist until some actionable event occurs is
probably a very natural UI, but the same thing could be achieved by
plopping up a dialog box.  Even if I am running your messenger, yours is
not the only application I'm running by a long shot.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.