best college for computer science major

Charles Krug charles at pentek.com
Mon Jan 13 14:03:13 EST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:08:41 -0800, morden <morden at shadows.net> wrote:
> Terry Hancock wrote:
>
>> Cameron Laird wrote:
>>

>> The point is, that at a small college you have a better chance of
>> becoming
>> a local star student nstead of just rank and file, and you can use that to
>
> Yeah, you have a chance to become the best among the horrible
> and then hit the ceiling (or become lost in the surrounding
> vacuum). But some people have courage to be ugly I guess.
> There is no substitution for good instructors. The learning curve will
> have a different shape for sure :-)))
> Speaking from experience only.

But good instructors at the undergrad level has very little to do with
the reputation of the school.

Academic tenure at some schools is purely granted on the basis of
research.  Someone who's a lousy instructor can thrive there, while at
some "less prestigious" school, tenure may require more student contact,
where such instructors won't last as long.

Of course, I've had good and bad instructors who were tenured, as well
as good and bad instructors who weren't.

I've also heard, "OH don't ever take HIM . . " of someone whom I thought
was a marvelous instructor, so go fig.