best college for computer science major

morden morden at shadows.net
Mon Jan 13 15:08:41 EST 2003

Terry Hancock wrote:

> Cameron Laird wrote:
>
> >However, individual qualities remain more determinative of educational
> >achievement than institutional ones.  I've got abundant anecdotal
> >evidence of motivated people deriving more from low-prestige community
> >colleges than better-heeled slackers doing at, say, Stanford.
>

> As this may be relevant to the OP, I'd like to add that at a small
> college,
> a highly motivated individual may be able to find and conduct more
> interesting research to them personally.  Big schools, with large
> research
> grants, will channel students into doing whatever research they are
> getting
> money for (this has approached the status of a pathology in a lot of US
> schools).
>
> Whereas, a small college, whose budget is almost entirely based on
> student
> tuition or state education funding, may very well be more open to
> students
> conducting original work. The trick is just finding a sympathetic
> advisor/professor to help you out with it. A motivated undergraduate
> can go
> a long way that way (and professors love motivated students).
>
> The point is, that at a small college you have a better chance of
> becoming
> a local star student nstead of just rank and file, and you can use that to

Yeah, you have a chance to become the best among the horrible
and then hit the ceiling (or become lost in the surrounding
vacuum). But some people have courage to be ugly I guess.
There is no substitution for good instructors. The learning curve will
have a different shape for sure :-)))
Speaking from experience only.