Best Python editor (under Linux)

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Jan 3 05:44:28 EST 2003

Steve Lamb wrote:

>     No.  Let me put it another way.
>
>     Will the lisp scripts work outside of Emacs on a lisp only engine?
> No?
> Why not?

Uh, so?  Python scripts won't work on non-Python systems, either.  So
what?

>     It is that mixing of two jobs into a single whole that is the
> problem.  Is
> it an editor?  No, it is a lisp engine.  Is it a lisp engine?  No, it
> is an
> editor.  Sorry, don't think they mix.

Are you really suggesting that programmability and extensibility is a
bad idea?  Should one not be able to write a mode that does syntax
coloring for Python (say) for your programming editor because an editor
is an editor and should do nothing else?  That sounds, quite frankly,
ludicrous.

You don't like emacs.  Okay, fine.  You don't like it because you think
it has kitchen sink syndrome.  Okay, fine too.  But you're tracking down
false leads.  What you're complaining about is that emacs installs too
much stuff by default, not that it's extensible.  There's a solution to
that, you know:  delete what you don't want.  rm is a very powerful
tool.

>     'sides, if I wanted a language embedded into my editor (instead of
> called
> from) I much prefer Python be it.

But you just contradicted yourself.  If it was extensible with Python,
then it would have a Python engine inside it.  That's bad, because it's
supposed to be an editor, right?

Besides, there _is_ a Python extension system available for emacs:
Pymacs.

/  \ Then conquer we must, for our cause is just ...
\__/ Francis Scott Key
    Fauxident / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/fauxident/
 A "faux" ident daemon in Python.