Best Python editor (under Linux)

Steve Lamb grey at despair.dmiyu.org
Fri Jan 3 13:54:04 EST 2003

On 03 Jan 2003 17:58:10 +0530, Ganesan R <rganesan at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> No, because your "scripts" will call emacs internal functions. I don't
> expect jed extension scripts to work outside of jed though it's written in
> slang (a language that slrn also uses) for the same reason.

    Then that is why I do not consider them programs in their own right nor do
I consider gnus for newsreading or email or what not a viable option as it
requires the installation of an /editor/ along with the language it is written
in.  Would you like, say, a souped of version of Pico slammed into Python
(We'll call it Pyco) even though you have a perfectly workable editor
elsewhere?  I wouldn't.

> Actually, there does exist a tetris written for emacs :-).

    I know, why do you think I chose it.  :P

> It then appears that your main complaint is that emacs ships with all these
> extensions that have nothing to do with editing. It's a valid complaint, I
> cringe at the size of distribution for every new emacs release. Emacs 20 is
> all of 28megs on my disk - emacs21 is 40meg.

    I know, which is why I said 26Mb.  That happens to be what apt-cache
reports emacs20 as being when installed.  Compared to the other editors I've
used (joe, jed, vim) that is a bit excessive.

> But please don't be misled by the myth that it is bloated. There is reason
> for the "bloat" and these days is not all that bad actually. For example
> here's the top output of a newly started emacs and gvim. Not bad right.

    Now compare the non-X versions.  Why would I want gvim when vim in an rxvt
works just fine?

> Don't even get me started about these "modern" IDEs. Eclipse starts at
> 60Meg, even the so called "fast" IntelliJ starts at 40Meg. I guess both of
> them would count as serious editors in your book. Now, that's bloat.

    Actually, they don't count as serious editors in my book.  The are IDEs.
IDEs contain editors.  Quite frankly I'd prefer IDEs make appropriate calls to
whatever editor I prefer, but that's another issue.

    To email: Don't despair!   |  -- Lenny Nero, Strange Days