The 3D picture of Python

Brandon Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Sat Feb 8 03:25:29 EST 2003

Brian Quinlan wrote:
> Brandon Van Every wrote:
>> - Several Python / C++ class bridging solutions are available.  The
>> most frequently recommended one is Boost, the 2nd is SWIG.  I've
>> heard positive anecdotes about both.  However, since there's no
>> clear de facto standard, one can expect worms that will only be
>> elucidated through painful experience.
>
> What does this mean?

This means I'm going to find out that one or the other package doesn't do
something that I really need it to do.  The hard way.  Probably sending me
to the other package to figure out which handles my job better.  I hope I'm
pleasantly surprised by whatever I start with.

>> - Nobody has said that Python integrates well with a Visual Studio
>> environment.  My suspicion is the majority of Python aficionados shun
>> Microsoft products like the plague, and have little collective
>> experience with Visual Studio.
>
> What does "integrates well" mean i.e. what are you expectations?

"Integrates well" would mean fully integrated with my Visual Studio class
browser, build, debugger, and source control environment.  No "external
tools shuffle."  No hunting and pecking with different build procedures,
having to drop to Makefiles and command line tools to get things done.  I
can, I know all that stuff, I was quite an imake / GNU Autoconf wizard back
in the day.  But I choose not to.  No weirdass precompile steps, no having
to code up a bunch of IDE integration macros.  No time spent on mechanics of
browsing, building, and debugging, all time spent on coding.

At a glance, that sounds like only a commercial solution will do.

20% of the world is real.