The 3D picture of Python

Armin Steinhoff a-steinhoff at web.de
Sat Feb 8 06:29:56 EST 2003

"Brandon Van Every" <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com> wrote in message news:<wk_0a.5396$1q2.499384 at newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
> Ok, here's a summary of what I've learned about 3D and Python so far.  Just
> so you get an idea why I'm not downloading Python right this second.
>
> - after much debating about the merits / demerits of Python, C++, and plain
> C, I decided that for 3D graphics problems, an interoperable Python / C++
> approach is absolutely required.

Your aproach isn't new or very original ... have a look to:

        http://www.rhino3d.com/
        http://www.dislin.de/
        http://runten.tripod.com/NURBS/index.html

> - Python itself is rather piggish in that it doesn't have 4-byte floats, and
> pads 8-byte doubles with an extra 8 bytes of Python object overhead.

Python as a typeless language doesn't care about 'byte hacking' ... if
this is your problem -> try to use an assembler :)

> - Numarray gets around the float and overhead issues as long as you're using
> arrays.  4-byte floats are available and Python object overhead is incurred
> only once per array, not once per element.  Numarray isn't going to help
> with structures, the Python structures will be much larger than the C++
> structures.  Numarray is widely deployed as a de facto Python programming
> component.
>
> - Several Python / C++ class bridging solutions are available.  The most
> frequently recommended one is Boost, the 2nd is SWIG.  I've heard positive
> anecdotes about both.  However, since there's no clear de facto standard,
> one can expect worms that will only be elucidated through painful
> experience.

Your are trying to re-invent the wheel ... 3D programming with python
is already available since YEARS ! See above ...

> - Nobody has said that Python integrates well with a Visual Studio
> environment.

There are other IDEs available for Python and non-MS-OSes ... why
should we use Visual Studio??

If you are adicted to Visual Studio or M$SOFT try to use this stuff:

          http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/
          http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/

> My suspicion is the majority of Python aficionados shun
> Microsoft products like the plague, and have little collective experience
> with Visual Studio.

Nonsens ... Python is platform independent. Therefore is Visual Studio
not so important.

> - several different toolkits for doing OpenGL stuff are available.  Their
> level of abstraction and domain applicability varies.
>
> Estimated time in the real world to become fully productive in newfangled
> Python / C++ 3D environment: 1 month.

IMHO ... it would take days if you start with

        http://www.rhino3d.com/

Cheers

Armin Steinhoff