The 3D picture of Python

Brandon Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Sat Feb 8 03:13:17 EST 2003

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Feb 2003 1:55 pm, Brandon Van Every wrote:
>
>> - Python itself is rather piggish in that it doesn't have 4-byte
>> floats, and pads 8-byte doubles with an extra 8 bytes of Python
>> object overhead.
>
> Again with abusive language like "piggish". You're really not big on
> the social skills, are ya pal?

Christ, Richard, I've not met anyone in 10 years of Usenetting who's so
touchy about choice of words.  There isn't even a person attached to that
comment, the referant is "Python."  So if I'm "abusing" Python by my
comment, get used to it!  Nobody around here is claiming that "lean and
mean" is a Python strength.

>   http://www.activestate.com/Products/Visual_Python/?_x=1
>
> I don't know what you're after in particular, but this seems to
> indicate a high level of support.

Thanks for the link.  That does indeed look more encouraging.  To pick nits,
I did specify VS 6.0, so this will have to wait until I move on.  Which
might be soon, as a buddy of mine at Microsoft says he can get me .NET for
real cheap.  Heh, that would actually make the Visual Python an order of
magnitude more expensive than the .NET upgrade.  :-)

>> Estimated time in the real world to become fully productive in
>> newfangled Python / C++ 3D environment: 1 month.
>
> Either you're not as good a programmer as you're making out, or
> you're not giving yourself enough credit. I'd expect you'd be able to
> learn the requisite Python, Numeric and PyOpenGL (assuming existing
> familiarity with OpenGL) knowledge within a week, perhaps two at the
> most.

Dude, get real world.  If you admit it'll take 2 weeks to learn, then
clearly you accept it'll take another 2 weeks to become fully productive.
I'm tired of hearing people tell me that tools just automagically get jobs
done for them, the second you download them.  They don't!  There's always a
learning curve and a disruption.  When every day counts you don't futz with
things that are going to take a month.  You wait until you have the month to
ramp up.

20% of the world is real.