The 3D picture of Python

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 7 23:49:14 EST 2003

Richard Jones, commenting on Richard Jones' post:
> > Estimated time in the real world to become fully productive in
newfangled
> > Python / C++ 3D environment: 1 month.
>
> Either you're not as good a programmer as you're making out, or you're not
> giving yourself enough credit. I'd expect you'd be able to learn the
> requisite Python, Numeric and PyOpenGL (assuming existing familiarity with
> OpenGL) knowledge within a week, perhaps two at the most.

Erm, to go from scratch knowledge to Python + PyOpenGL + Boost +
MSCV++ + Numeric is quite a bit.

I know when I started with Python I spent the first couple of days
just reading the documentation and trying things out.  I assume the same
would be true for each of those modules, so ... that's about 8 days there.
I then wrote some practice pieces over a span of time to build up a
feel of how to use Python.  Call that a week or so.

Then figure on building a larger project in the problem domain, along
with a rewrite or two for different approaches, and a complete rewrite
once things start to sink in.  And a few more practice pieces.  And playing
around with a few other libraries to see how well they work.

Yes, I could see that it would a month to get up to speed, even for
a good programmer.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com