[newbie] selecting install directory - Linux Red Hat 8

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Feb 1 19:33:50 EST 2003

In article <3E3C601E.2080202 at nospam.xtradoc.com>, Henri Chorand wrote:

> The best thing would probably be to download the Python-2.2.2.tgz source
> package and to compile it, as advised on Python's site.

That's always worked for me.

> My newbie question is: which install directory should I choose?
>  From what I could read, it could be /usr/local/python.

Anything under /usr/local is fine.  Just use the default. You may want to do
a "make altinstall" instead of "make install" to avoid confusing programs
that depend on "python" being the RH binary.

> I also intend to use wxPython, so my question also applies to this one.

I've always just used the default location when installing wxWindows and
wxPython.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Hey, LOOK!! A pair of
                                  at               SIZE 9 CAPRI PANTS!! They