[newbie] selecting install directory - Linux Red Hat 8

Henri Chorand henri at nospam.xtradoc.com
Sat Feb 1 19:02:38 EST 2003

Hi all,

I recently discovered Python's features more in detail and would like to
install the latest 2.2.2 version on a Red Hat 8.0 PC.

I have some experience in programming, but I'm still missing a lot about
setting up a Linux config, including basic issues like the directory
structure.

I first tried by downloading the Python-2.2.2-7.i386.rpm and I get a
package dependancy message, it says sip requires python 2.2.1 :-(

The best thing would probably be to download the Python-2.2.2.tgz source
package and to compile it, as advised on Python's site.

My newbie question is: which install directory should I choose?
 From what I could read, it could be /usr/local/python.

I also intend to use wxPython, so my question also applies to this one.

Could anybody more experienced please confirm?

Thanks in advance!

Henri