[newbie] selecting install directory - Linux Red Hat 8

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Feb 2 01:01:27 EST 2003

Henri Chorand wrote:

> I recently discovered Python's features more in detail and would like to
> install the latest 2.2.2 version on a Red Hat 8.0 PC.
>
> I have some experience in programming, but I'm still missing a lot about
> setting up a Linux config, including basic issues like the directory
> structure.
>
> I first tried by downloading the Python-2.2.2-7.i386.rpm and I get a
> package dependancy message, it says sip requires python 2.2.1 :-(

In your position I would just try "rpm -e sip" and deal with the issue
later if I found I really needed the package.  (That is, just uninstall.)

>From rpmfind.net:

SIP: "Generates Python bindings for C++ class libraries from a set of class
specification files.  Also includes a runtime support library needed by all
generated bindings."

-Peter