Case sensitivity

sismex01 at hebmex.com sismex01 at hebmex.com
Tue Feb 25 10:26:18 EST 2003

So let's *not* let it peter out.  How does one go about adding
something to PyChecker?  I think that, outside of having the
compiler issue warnings or errors upon finding miscapitalization
issues, PyChecker is the most natural place to put these
validations.

Another would be to hijack the import module;  whenever importing
a module with miscapitalization issues, issue a warning message,
or when importing identifiers which will provoke capitalization
issues in the current namespace, issue a warning or raise an
import error.

It's an education kind of thing.  Painful, but "good for you".

;-)

> A minor wart in a free, useful language is still a wart, and in
> my opinion it serves no purpose to pretend it isn't, even though
> it will never be fixed.

Probably, the main problem, being educational (we've been
"educated" to believe case-sensitivity is good) is that we don't
actually *know* what is a wart and what isn't, and what
constitutes "being fixed".

...but I for one don't want to "get fixed", a cat of mine got
fixed, and he seemed "broken" forevermore.  Poor kitty....

;-)

> Alex

-gustavo