Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Fri Feb 28 09:28:42 EST 2003

In article <mailman.1045070395.360.python-list at python.org>,
Kyler Laird  <Kyler at Lairds.com> wrote:
			.
			.
			.
>I still think that for some languages, an appropriate flag
>could be determined.  The only languages I've studied
>(English, French, Spanish) seem to map cleanly to countries
>of origin.  (I'm now waiting for someone to give me a great
>story of how French really originated in ...)
			.
			.
			.
French--woo!  I can see the Bretons, Basques, and Occitans
mobilizing right now.

In any case, yeah, tempting as it is to pick a fight on
this, you're right:  choose a geopolitically big language,
and you can find a current nation-state within whose boundaries
the language unambiguously originated.  There were Italian and
German languages well before Italy and Germany were countries,
but, well, these things happen.  Turks were speaking Turkish
(even if you call it Old Seljuk or such) before they
collectively arrived in Turkey, but, again, no serious confu-
sion'll follow *that* identification.  That the van Rossums
aren't from Belgium dodges one bullet.  You have to go down
the demographic scale to Yiddish, Kurdish, Hausa, and Swahili
before the political-historical disputes heat up much.

Except for Malay.  Straightening out that one I best leave to
experts.

Myself, I've got a lot more urgent python.org business I'm not
doing.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net