laotseu bdesth at removethis.free.fr
Tue Feb 11 23:56:39 EST 2003

M. Müller-Oertel wrote:
> A little summary for those who didn't follow this thread until now:
>
> Python.org is currently English-only. This will most likely mislead visitors
> to think about English as a requirement for learning or using Python. I
> suggested to redirect visitors to welcome pages in their native language
> according to the language settings of their web browsers.
>
> These welcome pages would introduce Python in a few words and list some hand
> picked quality links to Python resources in the visitor's native language.
>
> Carlos Ribeiro <cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br> likes the idea but is afraid it
> could be too much work for a single person per language. He also mentions
> debian.org, a site available in various languages.
>
> laotseu <bdesth at removethis.free.fr> believes that reading English seems
> hardly avoidable if
> one plans to do anything in computer programming.

Being quoted, I'd like to make two precisions :

1/ I do not "believe" that reading English is hardly avoidable in CS,
it's just an actual fact : almost every programming languages and their
standard libraries are 'english-based', and documentation almost always
comes in english version first (when not only).

2/ this said, I do approve any work done to make computer programming
easy for everyone. Having Python intro in many languages is surely a
good thing(tm).

BTW, having Python itself in [french|greek|japanese|klingon] would also
be nice !-)

(snip)

> Daniel Dittmar <dittmar at snafu.de> likes wikis for collecting links and
> explains their benefits. Thus he created a wiki page
> (http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PythonAroundTheWorld) as a starting
> point for Non-English link pages and also added one for German
> (http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/DeutscheSchlangen).
> [There are already pages for other languages now; this looks very promising.

I'll have a look and see if I may help...

> This summary is not meant to stop the discussion. Please continue to post
> your comments and ideas.

Done

Laotseu