ternary operator vote

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Sun Feb 9 08:15:02 EST 2003

Hi James, welcome back,

James J. Besemer wrote:

> Aahz wrote:
>
> > If I do hold a vote, there will be a specific format required.  Do not
> > send votes to me until you see a formal Call For Votes (which would be
> > published on comp.lang.python.announce).  Any votes sent now will be
> > discarded.
>
> I would humbly suggest that somebody other than Aahz control the voting.

Oh.

> I don't know Aahz.  I have no reason to doubt his integrity or expect him to
> cheat.  Nevertheless, he has indicated considerable hostility towards the
> propsoal and this strikes me as inconsistent with the role.

He is known for years and would certainly kill his reputation completly
if he drops some in-favour votes and people discover it.  The Votes are
to be published so plenty of people can check.  I am pretty sure
that he can post a neutral "Call for Votes" and most of the people
here have an oppinion regardless of the exact question anyway.

> Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it TRADITIONAL for a PROPONENT of a PEP
> lead the discussion, revise the PEP accordingly and call for a vote?  There
> are several members qualified to lead this effort.  Andrew Koenig stands out
> as one; at least his diligence to date indicates he may have the time for it.

There is nothing preventing people (and Andrew for that matter) from "enhancing"
the PEP but they may need to check with some Python-Dev people or Guido himself.
For this they better make sure they have clear and well-reasoned modifications.
It's not like Guido doesn't know the arguments for ten years <wink>.
And he happens to have a good idea what is pythonic and what not.

> Seems to me we're at a point where the PEP should be revised to incorporate
> what we've learned thus far.  I think there are a number of points to be
> added, if only additional dead ends.

Sure.  If somebody really thinks he manages to convince Guido that a different
syntax is wortwhile voting about (i.e. has any chance to get past him)
then these alternatives can be included in the voting process.

But I'd say: don't bother and take PEP308 syntax-as-is to be the last chance
for a long time getting a ternary operator syntax into Python.

keep-it-simple-ly y'rs,

    holger