What's better about Ruby than Python?

Michele Simionato mis6 at pitt.edu
Mon Aug 18 19:30:11 EDT 2003

I gave a look at Ruby some months ago, due to various favorable
opinions
I saw on c.l.py. Whereas there are few interesting things, there are
at
least two things I didn't like:

1. The syntax: too perlish for my taste;
2. Mixins: a poor man solution compared to multiple inheritance in
Python.

I also got the impression that they make a big deal about object
orientation but that in practice Python has a better support for
object orientation (I mean multiple inheritance, metaclasses,
descriptors, properties,
etc.) even if nobody is interested in stressing this point
particularly
in this community, since Python is multi-paradigm. Also, functional
programming seems to be easier in Python than in Ruby.

I got these impressions from an evening reading the tutorial, so
I reserve myself the right to change my opinion if I find the time
of looking at Ruby better ;)
Anyway, no doubt that I will choose Ruby over perl, tcl, c#, c++,
java,
etc. (I mean, as a language; the situation is different if
avalaibility
of libraries or performances are taken in account). If Perl is
Python's
uncle, Ruby is Python's brother. As other have said, there are more
similarities than differences and I expect the productivity to be more
or less the same (modulo possible issues with the lack of librairies
or english documentation, issues that probably will disappear soon,
I think).

                            Michele