Brandon's personal style (was)

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Tue Aug 19 02:17:58 EDT 2003

Jack Diederich wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 03:14:52PM -0700, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>>
>> Man, it's clear that I've got an entire hate group around here to
>> exterminate!  I wonder how long it's going to take?  Maybe this is a
>> positive sign of Python's growth: it's got enough critical mass to
>> attract just about anybody, not just people who want to get things
>> done.  At any rate, welcome to my killfile.
>
> Never blame on malice what can be explained by stupidity.

What if stupidity fosters malice?  To wit:

> I don't care if you write troll posts maliciously or not, I do care
> that you keep sending them.

The problem here is, they aren't troll posts.  You just perceive them to be.
Why you do, you'd have to answer for yourself.  But I will hazard to guess:
you don't like it when certain questions are asked.  You think they are
illegitimate questions, and that nobody, rationally speaking, should ask
them.  You think the questions will always cause trouble, that we can count
on this from what we know about newsgroup behaviors, so therefore the
questions should not be asked.  In other words, you think you know best
about how discourse should properly proceed.

> So how big is that RAID that holds your killfile?

Text is trivial to store on modern computers and I'm not in newsgroups
*that* much.  My anti-spam file is a couple of orders magnitude bigger than
my killfile.  Maybe 3 orders of magnitude.  4?  I can't tell.  Anyways, I
don't think it's worth trying to work out your perceptions, so welcome to my
killfile along with the rest.

I am starting to wonder, if the high number of kills I've gotten in c.l.p
says something about community cohesion?  I mean, I get kills in *every*
group I spend any time in, but the speed and volume of kills I'm getting
here is novel.  It's usually much more isolated and sporadic than this.  I
hereby pronounce c.l.p, Second Order Magnitude of community cohesion.  You
guys aren't all in the same pocket or parrots of each other, but there are c
learly some trends.  For a First Order Magnitude community cohesion, check
out something really cranky and old guard like rec.arts.int-fiction.  I
think they still think the Internet is a DARPA project!  And despite years
of absence, I'm sure I'm still a favorite there.  Smooches, any of that ilk
lurking about.

20% of the world is real.