Brandon's personal style (was)

Michael Geary Mike at DeleteThis.Geary.com
Tue Aug 19 02:18:09 EDT 2003

> > Would you do that in a face to face conversation? I didn't think so.
>
> Most people don't have this much trouble face-to-face.  There's so much
> extra information: tone, facial expression, body posture, hand gestures.
> It's easier for people to take comments in the manner they were intended,
> and it's easier for people to see they're pissing someone else off and
back
> down.  E-mail and newsgroups are inherently imperfect media, and I will
not
> try to change them.

That's an excellent point that we would all do well to heed. (Myself
included.) Being half Italian, I have plenty of experience with heated
discussions conducted in total friendship. But that definitely works only in
person!

Personally, I think it's worth taking a little extra effort to try to
compensate for the limitations of the medium. If you know that people are
more likely to misunderstand your intentions, why egg them on?

You've certainly made some insightful comments here, such as the Reality On
The Ground list you just posted. It's unfortunate that the message has been
obscured by the tone of the conversation. (Not placing blame--it takes more
than one to tango.)

-Mike (Windows programmer for 17 years and Python newbie...)