Python for medicine

ddoc news at 92tr.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Aug 14 09:45:50 EDT 2003

Python, as Zope, underlies some candidate medical record systems.

Python is also the programming language for at least one system - GNUMed
from Australia.

But the specific  slot I see Python as particularly suited to is as a
generic scripting language for use in (many) medical record and decision
assist systems.

Currently there are a variety of these, and they tend to have individual
scripting languages or lack them altogether, partly because their origins
are in the dawn of time.

There is a certain amount of work available on the Web on what could be
generic objects, such as the Arden Syntax, a way of defining the steps in
making a decision.

Rendering such things into Python modules, and leaving it up to the
individual (proprietary or Open) system suppliers to make use of them and
provide the lower level piece that interfaces to the specific system in
question seems like a good way to go, to me.