What's TOTALLY COMPELLING about Ruby over Python?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Mon Aug 18 18:03:12 EDT 2003

"John Roth" <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> writes:
[...]
> It's not so much code blocks. It's that Ruby's syntax gives you one
> code block for free in every method call.

I don't know what that means.  Care to explain a bit more?

[...]
> All of the Ruby collections implement a .each method, which is essentially
[...]
> like (using Python syntax):
>
> collectObj.each(<method name>)
[...]
> You can also say: we can do that with for. Well, duh. For is a
> statement, not a method call.

I don't understand.  Why does this matter?

I guess you could implement this in Python if you had a burning
desire, using __metaclass__ (caveat: never having had such a desire,
I've never used metaclasses, so I may be wrong).

> To continue on this vein, Ruby directly implements Visitor, Observer,
> Delegate and Singleton. I don't particularly like the way it does some
> of them, but Python can't claim any one of the four!
[...]

And so...?

John