OT: Americans love their guns

Chad Netzer cnetzer at sonic.net
Thu Aug 28 16:36:09 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 12:46, maxx at easynews.com wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 02:12:34 -0400, Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters <mertz at gnosis.cx>
> wrote:
>
> >USA gun-related deaths are ~29k/year
>
> And my probability of being one of them is pretty low - because I am usually
> armed ;)

Yes, because firearm owners ALWAYS get the drop on the bad duys, and
NEVER take one in the gut themselves.  Also, they NEVER turn them on
themselves, either accidentally or intentionally, or have their kids
discover and accidentally discharge them, or have them stolen from them,
or shoot or get shot by the wrong person, or the police, or their
neighbor, etc.

I looked up a bunch of statistics yesterday, and don't have time today.
Suffice to say that the idea that owning a gun will give you a "low"
probability of being killed by one, even discounting suicides, is far
from obvious.

--

Chad Netzer